Friday, August 23, 2013

#SEACCR

What is Action Research?
 Action research is a hot item in the KPBSD school district.  In fact, a teacher can choose “Action Research” as one of the possible “Teacher Enrichment Pathways” which is essence, an alternative evaluation process.  According to the KPBSD official website, “Action Research” is defined as:
A teacher working on answering a question he or she may have in regard to classroom performance, student needs, or the impact of various teaching methods on learning.  The information is gathered by the teacher and then used to improve teaching and student learning.
Parsons and Brown (2002) state, “Action research is a form of investigation designed for use by teachers to attempt to solve problems and improve professional practices in their own classrooms.  It involves systematic observations and data collection which can be then used by the practitioner-researcher in reflection, decision-making and development of more effective classroom strategies.
I love how Emily Calhoun (1994) describes Action Research, she says, “Action Research is a fancy way of saying let’s study what’s happening at our school and decided how to make it a better place.”
Christine Miller (2007) simplifies the concept by saying that it is a natural part of teaching.  “Teachers are continually observing students, collecting data and changing practices to improve student learning and the classroom and school environment.  It improves student learning and the classroom and school environment.  Action research provides a framework that guides the energies of teachers toward a better understanding of why, when and how students become better learners.”

According to the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics), there are five phases of action research.  These include:
1.      Selecting an area or focus
2.    Collecting data
3.    Organizing data/Analyzing and interpreting data
4.    Studying professional literature
5.    Taking action
My conclusion is that action research is finding an area that needs improvement, learning how to improve it, and getting it done!

Bibliography:
Miller, C. A. “Action research:  Making sense of data.” On-line article recovered   8/23/2013, wwww.coe.fau.edu/sfeel/sensdata.htm.
Calhoun, E. F. “How to use action research in the self-renewing school.”  Alexandria, VA:  Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 1994,
Parsons, R.D. & Brown, K. S.  Teacher as Reflective  Practitioner and Action Researcher.  Belmont, CA:  Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 2002.
http://www.nctm.org/uploadedFiles/Lessons_and_Resources/Grants_and_Awards/How%20is%20Action%20Research%20Defined(1).pdf

9 comments:

  1. Excited to start learning about research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that info...I wasn't aware that action research is one of the TEP options (of course, I'm still not tenured in KPBSD, but I'll file it away regardless). If step one is finding an area that needs improvement, where to begin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very true that action research is a natural part of teaching. "Action Research" just gives it an official term. We are always trying to improve things in our classroom to help our students and ourselves as teachers. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reference to NCTM. I hadn't thought of looking there when I was reading up on Action Research. I may have to check them out as I contemplate what I'll research this semester.

    As I've read through several of our blog sites, I've noticed the recurring theme that action research is naturally part of all teachers lives. I included the same thought in my response to this weeks question. It has been part of every alternative evaluation I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed that your school district understands the importance of action research and is allowing teachers to use that as their educational goal. I am curious to know how many teachers actually take advantage of this possibility and choose it for their educational goal. It would also be interesting to know how many teachers actually understood what it was. I also like the quote you found by Emily Calhoun that describes Action Research, she says, “Action Research is a fancy way of saying let’s study what’s happening at our school and decided how to make it a better place.” I found it funny that she said that in 1994, and I am just now hearing about that it, specifically the term ‘Action Research’. I have used action research in the past, but I never knew that that was what it was called.
    About 5 years ago I participated in a training program called, “Keeping Learning on Track.” It was an excellent program that spanned two years that focused on formative assessments. During the program we learned about different types of formative assessments and why it was important for continuous and sometimes constant assessments. We learned that these assessments should drive teacher instruction and class activities. Formative assessments can be dry erase boards, thumbs up thumbs down, parking lots, red-green-yellow cups on desks (students change the color based on their current understanding; red-confused, yellow-somewhat confused, green-not confused), exit tickets, etc. There are so many things that can be done that teachers can consider formative assessments and I believe action research.
    I’m glad that you provided those 5 steps for action research, I think that it will be helpful when I have to start planning my topic!

    Lexie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kenai must be a forward-thinking district! I have always appreciated when a district honors what a teacher wants to learn for professional development. I wish we had something like this in my current district. I think teachers would be much more motivated to learn if they could do their own action research for professional development. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lenore, Your posts are wonderful and inspiring! I want to read that book Teach Like a Pirate too! You don't seem to be nearly as technically challenged as I am! I had to change my WordPress account. Karen Krejci

    ReplyDelete