Friday, October 4, 2013

#seaccr Week 4 Data Gathering

#seaccr Week 4 Reflection

This was quite a week!  I have to say it was a little bit overwhelming.  Trying to keep track of information shared on Twitter, blog sites I needed to re-find that are not on our blogroll, navigating my way through Livetext, Tweeking and re-tweeking (no I did not mean to say Tweeting) my proposal, multiple conversations and collaboration with peers on Twitter, email and texting. . . I'm exhausted.  However, I feel satisfied.  Satisfied because I HAVE A PLAN!  A doable one! 

Jeffrey made a comment on his blog that sometimes we have to step away from our own research to be able to 'see it' through another's eyes.  Example that happened today:  This week my husband was in Kodiak on a multi-animal hunt (my husband is the one on the far right)
He asked me to check the chicken's water midweek while he was gone.  I never added any water because there was always water in it.  Needless to say, the past two days the chickens must have been thirsty (but there was still a little water in the container).  He really meant, "Fill up the waterer on Thursday!"  It was not until this afternoon that he realized he was so used how it looked when "empty" that he didn't bother to tell me there would still be water in it but the chickens couldn't get to it.  When he stepped away from his perspective, details became unclear. 

Case in hand, my peer reviewers were brilliant in helping me step back and explain clearly what each point of data intended.  In Jeff's words, "Like a cookbook - a recipe to follow".  The peer review process shed light in a tremendous way to the process of Action Research.  I plan to use the peer reviewer idea in my 2nd grade class more often.  It lends to higher order thinking and clarity of intent.

This week I contributed to several of my peers helping them understand the processes needed, items to turn in, reflections due, parts of proposal, and sent them (both Twitter and email) links of important websites that were discussed at Twitter.  These peers were then able to complete the needed assignments. I was able to help one of my peers figure out a survey (which she has included in her proposal.)  One of my fellow collaborators and peers and I spent Friday night texting back and forth and finally emailing specific helps.  It was a pleasure to be able to pass on the steep learning curve I had traveled just hours before.  I just texted and ask if the person was able to get everything turned in and sure enough, yes! 


 I used the analogy on Twitter that we are like a climbing team.  We are all roped together, and all of us are working together to make it to the top.  I have collaborated at length with Amber and both of us have benefited from the teamwork.  Her blogs describes ways she implemented some of the help I gave her this week.  I was happy to learn a new survey concept, embedded into a blog.  I was able to help Colin with his research by completing his survey.  

By far, the most valuable resource this week was the peer review.  My reviewers were both great.  In fact, most of their 'critical' points were the same.  I was able to take their information and fine tune my procedure methods.

Many people helped me this week.  I can't name them all.  My peers helped me navigate technical tools, fine tune a parent survey and Jonathan gave me a great idea for one of my data collection steps (reading non-fiction and fiction books to 2nd graders  - on the same topic, and doing an in-class focus group to follow up.)  I have included this process as one of my key data collection avenues.  Finally, Lisa helped me figure out how to upload my proposal to Livetext.

Final thought:  I am sold on Peer assessment.  




#seaccr Week 4 Data Gathering




I keep thinking to myself, "OK, I have this down," then I attend a flying Twitter Tweet session and think, "Oh, shoot, I am behind."  For the most part I feel great about my project.  I have found good references (before the government shut down) and printed them.  I feel confident in the direction I am headed and happily have let go of trying to use testing and quantitative data for my project.  It just became fun!  Through the process of analyzing literature, I also have changed my question slightly. My new question is asks, "Does adding quality, non-fiction informational text across the curriculum, enhance the enthusiasm of 2nd grade readers?"

Data Collection Methods:

I have already completed 2 of my data collection activities.  I have held a class-wide small focus group with 2nd graders responding to their favorite types of books, and topics that interest them.  In addition I have two surveys currently out on Survey Monkey.  It is refreshing to be on my way.  I am also sending a questionnaire to all of my 2nd grade parents about what the students read and choose at home.  The last two pieces are both related to the library.  I am taking field notes in my journal while my students are in the library each week to see what conversations occur, what books are chosen, and how enthusiastic students are about their choices.  I will follow this up with an interview with our school librarian.  I will have a set of pre-made questions.  I will be asking her what types of books she buys, why, what types of books are checked out most often, etc.  I will copy the section of my research paper that explains this process below.

From my research proposal:  


Procedure
            The procedure will include five different elements.  The first data collection procedure is completed.  It was an informal class focus group, which occurred October 3, 2013.  I asked the students to imagine they were in the world’s biggest library.  They put their heads down on their desks and had 1 minute of think time.  I gave them examples of books they already knew, fiction, non-fiction informational texts, and topics.  Next, I asked them to write down a list of at least five books and/or topics they would check out of the library.  The results were fascinating. 
The second data collection is through Survey Monkey.  I created a survey for teachers, asking how and if they planned to increase the amount of non-fiction, informational texts in their classrooms with regard to the new Alaska State Standards.  I sent the link to my own staff (k-6), all the elementary music teachers in the KPBSD school district, as well as to my PLN Twitter group.  The survey is still open but most of the responses are complete.  I will analyze the data and include it in my final paper. 
The third data collection will be an interview type survey for parents of my second graders.  This will go home in one week in the student’s Friday folder.  I will be asking their opinion of what their child likes to read at home.  How often do they read?  Do they go to the public library and check out books?  What kind of books, fiction or non-fiction?  Do they read with their child?  This information will also go into my final analysis. 
Finally, the last data collection is on-going and will continue from my own field notes through observations and journal entries.  I will accompany my students to the library each week and listen to and document their discussions about books.  I will document which books they pick to read and check out and do a gender study in relationship to non-fiction literature.  I will continue to provide a special in class library that will contain non-fiction, informational text that supports the topics we are currently studying.  I will record how often the students choose a book from the non-fiction section when given free choice to red.  I will then complete this library and book study with an interview with our school librarian, who will disclose trends and interests she observes.  I will ask her how she chooses new books for the library and how many of this year’s Battle of the Books are non-fiction.  I will close this section of data collection with any additional thoughts she has on reading non-fiction. 
When the data is collected, I will analyze this qualitative study using Microsoft Excel graphs to enrich the readers understanding.  I will look for themes, categories, or patterns to emerge.  The data will reflect answers to the original research question.  I will be using the data and findings to improve my teaching.  I hope to generate excitement and enthusiasm in reading both fiction and non-fiction.  What I learn from this research will re-direct my focus in literacy for my students.




I have come to realize that although the syllabus says that Tweet sessions are "Optional" they are indeed not. So much information is passed from students and teachers, and students to students that is invaluable.  I am glad I have not missed any.




4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using graphs to show the data you have collected. It is a good visual representation to show how your project has impacted students. I wonder if I could use graphs or other visual aides in my project. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the different data collection methods you used. I used a survey from Survey Monkey for the students to learn more about their feelings on spelling and their practice habits. Im thinking about putting together one for the parents to learn more about their feelings on spelling and see how is affects the students practice habits. Im also toying with the idea of how I can use the test scores to show how the students have increased their skills, but I also want to track how often they practice outside of school. Your ideas have given me lost of ideas for my own project. Thank you!!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that one of your sources for data is the second grade group. Sometimes people think those young minds have unformed opinions. They sure don't. I bet it was fun to collect data from them, too. People are so worried about the addition of more non-fiction into the curriculum. I'll be curious to see what results to find for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the peer review of my action research. Your input is valuable.
    I really like the direction you are going. The value of research you are pursuing is so important. Keep on track. I am looking forward to seeing the results.

    ReplyDelete