Friday, October 25, 2013

Week #7 Seaccr

Week 7 Data Reflection

A quote I re-directed toward research:

Vincent Van Gogh 
Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.


I actually feel like I will finish this research paper.  All the little steps are beginning to add up and become something attainable.   I am excited and enthusiastic to find the results.  I have all the data into graphs, tables and tools for the reflection and analysis.  I plan to use the 'narrative' data analysis method for this project.  I will tell what has happened and what findings resulted in a story and event based discussion.  I will also use the content analysis method of organizing data.  I have found strands and themes in my research that have emerged from the studies and data I have received.  Some I expected, and some I did not expect.  I am exited to add a creative element in order to integrate these ideas into an organized and effective discussion.

My personal goal is that I will be able to improve my teaching due to the results I find in this study.    One of the biggest discoveries I am unearthing is that reading comes alive to children at about the 2nd grade level.
As a group they are devouring books, all kinds of books.  I am finding that the more excited I am about books, the teaching of books, and the actual reading aloud, the more excited the students are to read.  The same thing happens in the library.  Whatever book the librarian reads to the students, over half the class wants to check it out at the end of the class period.  My parent surveys are also showing me that the parents who read regularly to their children have children who are enthusiastic about reading.

I talked to my administrator about this phenomena and he believes that student enthusiasm is directly related to teacher enthusiasm for all subject matters.  So, how will I be a better teacher?  I will show enthusiasm about all the subjects I teach.  I will relate real world experiences to topics studied, and give ample opportunities to explore and experience different types of literature, math manipulatives,  play various instruments, and provide as many opportunities as possible for students to become excited about learning.

I have some new technology under my belt:  Worldle, Bubbl.us, concept maps, Survey monkey, Screencastomatic, and new types of graphs and charts using Excel.

This week I will begin put narrative to my data analysis.  I think the biggest challenge is making sense of the pieces and organizing them accordingly.

A final thought from one of my favorite inspirational speakers:

Andrew Carnegie 
Think of yourself as on the threshold of unparalleled success. A whole clear, glorious life lies before you. Achieve! Achieve!

5 comments:

  1. Lenore, it looks like you have had some great success with your project, and you have not only learned things about your students, but your teaching as well. I like how you are using graphs and other visual images in your data analyze. I wish this is something I could do, but I am not sure how it would work in my project. I also only have two students doing the project, as their were complications that occurred with the others. Also, I have seen the same thing when it comes to books and enthusiasm, and teaching and enthusiasm in general. When I am happier about something and I am laughing with my students and we are having fun during the lesson than my students are a lot more involved and they are getting a lot more out of the lesson. The same goes with when I read. The kids love when I read to them, as I always add a little flair to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lenore,
    Student enthusiasm is related to teacher enthusiasm? Now your next study you will have to find an unenthusiastic teacher to say the same stuff you do, and see if the students respond different. Bummer for the parents of the students that don’t get you!
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see that things are going so well! And it's exciting to know that reading is really coming alive for them. I agree that your enthusiasm makes a huge difference... but does that skew your data? You may subconsciously be more enthusiastic about the non-fiction you read with them in the hopes that they'll gravitate toward it. There's nothing wrong with that, of course--it's really impossible to control every little variable in these kinds of studies, and Jeffrey is right that the same study done by a different teacher could have turned out very differently. Your goal was to get them engaged with non-fiction books, and it looks like you've done just that. I would just mention (in your narrative) that students (especially at this age) can be very influenced by teacher and/or librarian enthusiasm. That's a good thing. Other teachers who read your study and also want their students to become more engaged with non-fiction will just have to understand that they'll need to be enthusiastic if they want to see the results that you've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really glad to hear that things are going so well with your project, as well as your classroom! You really have helped me a great deal throughout this project, especially with my research proposal in the beginning of this course! Although it appears that your research is wrapping up (or already complete), I do have a suggestion for you. This suggestion is more aligned with your desire to be more enthusiastic about all subjects you teach. By chance have you ever heard of the book “Teach like a Pirate” by Dave Burgess? This was a required reading for my other course, and I am so happy it was! It’s all about how to keep students engaged and staying enthusiastic about what we teach. I strongly suggest this book to teachers. A link to the book is: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Like-PIRATE-Engagement-ebook/dp/B009V9RQNU

    Also, I wanted to suggest to you an online resource for books, fiction and nonfiction alike. I just discovered this site myself, but it is truly amazing and FREE! Take a look when you have the chance and let me know! http://www.wegivebooks.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really glad to hear that things are going so well with your project, as well as your classroom! You really have helped me a great deal throughout this project, especially with my research proposal in the beginning of this course! Although it appears that your research is wrapping up (or already complete), I do have a suggestion for you. This suggestion is more aligned with your desire to be more enthusiastic about all subjects you teach. By chance have you ever heard of the book “Teach like a Pirate” by Dave Burgess? This was a required reading for my other course, and I am so happy it was! It’s all about how to keep students engaged and staying enthusiastic about what we teach. I strongly suggest this book to teachers. A link to the book is: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Like-PIRATE-Engagement-ebook/dp/B009V9RQNU

    Also, I wanted to suggest to you an online resource for books, fiction and nonfiction alike. I just discovered this site myself, but it is truly amazing and FREE! Take a look when you have the chance and let me know! http://www.wegivebooks.org/

    ReplyDelete