Thursday, October 31, 2013

Week #8 Analyzing Data

Week #8 Analyzing Data

My data is complete.  Data is in final format.  Some of the data analysis is complete.  Final steps include finishing analysis, and writing a conclusion after triangulating needed information.  The graphic organizer below is a reminder of the need to triangulate data and how to go about it.

Triangulation includes the following types of data formats (from my research paper):

Parent Survey Highlights Results
1.      Does your child like to read?  
Yes
No
Sometimes
No answer
9
2
3
1

2.       Do you read with your child at home?
Yes
No
Sometimes
No answer
12
2
0
0

3.      What kinds of books does your child like to read?  (Fiction/non-fiction/topics)
Fiction
Non-fiction
Fiction/Non-fiction

5
3
6

1.      Have you noticed any changes in your child’s enthusiasm for reading?
Yes - comments
No
8
ebooks mostly
She is exited to read
harder books
especially funny books
6

Appendix E
Librarian Interview Highlights
Date:  October 18, 2013
Time:  12:30 p.m.
Interviewer:  Lenore Swanson
Interviewee:  Alexandra Basargin, McNeil Canyon Elementary School Librarian
1.      What are this this year’s Battle of the Books titles?  The list includes 15 books for the 2nd grade level “Battle of the Books”.  A committee of librarians, teachers, and students across Alaska, select books.
2.      What is the ratio of fiction to non-fiction?  All the books are fiction for the second grade age group.
3.      In general, which books are the most popular among the readers?  Fiction is most popular, particularly for reading aloud by librarian.
4.      What trends in reading do you see for the second graders?  Second grades tend to follow popular trends such as dinosaurs, birds, automobiles, and horses.  The trends are usually within a classroom group.
5.      How do you choose new books for the school library?  Basargin chooses books based on publisher reviews, award winning books, Amazon and Barnes and Noble ‘best picks’, teacher requests, and Google lists of best choice books.
6.      In your opinion, do you think second graders prefer fiction or non-fiction?  In her opinion, second graders prefer fiction books.
7.      Can you print out a list of all the books the second graders have read this year? 

8.       Do you notice any trends in the list of books second graders have checked out?  

Do you plan to increase non-fiction informational text in your classroom this school year in light of the new Alaska standards?
·         Answered: 9 
·         Skipped: 0
9 (100.00%)
YesNo
0%20%40%60%80%100%
Answer Choices
Responses
Yes
100%
9
No
0%
0
Total
9
Comments(0)
Q2


Do you think students will like having more non-fiction?
·         Answered: 7 
·         Skipped: 2
6 (85.71%)
YesNo
0%20%40%60%80%100%
Answer Choices
Responses
Yes
85.71%
6
No
14.29%
1
Total
7




I had a little trouble trying upload my Excel documents to my blog.  I had to go through Paint.  More self-learning/teaching using Google questions.  I have also found a new Reference builder/citation insert tab on my Microsoft 2010 that I did not know existed.

I am feeling much better about this process.  I am realizing that this is an on-going project and will not be complete even though my paper will be turned in on November 8th.  I am excited to find new ways to inspire my students to become exited about learning.  I can't wait to read, "Teach Like a Pirate" after my research paper is complete and turned in.  The next hurdle will be creating a presentation document on screencastomatic of something similar.  

Now it is time to pull it all together. 


9 comments:

  1. Teach Like a Pirate, was a wonderful book! You will enjoy it. Also, I love all the visual tools use used to show the results of your research. It is very helpful for a visual learner like myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, what program did you use to make the graphic organizer with all the information included on it?

      Delete
    2. I believe you are referring to Bubbl.us where the green word map shows bubbles? If not, let me know which one and I'll pass on the info!

      Delete
  2. Lenore,
    Nice job on your visual presentations. I like the graphic organizer. May I please request the program origin? Looks like you are on track to the home stretch. Thank you for presenting the librarian interview. I wondered the same questions regarding fiction reading material and non-fiction reading material availability...confirms the need for exciting new non-fiction children's books. I am anxious to see your final project product.
    Great job,
    Carrollea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carollea which graphic organizer are you referring to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lenore,
      The graphic organizer on the top. I think you answered this question already. Bubble.us. Your visual materials are fantastic! I like all of them, the bar graph, pie chart, concept tree that resembles Ikebana only with words, not flowers as a medium. The data analysis is easy to read because of the visual tools you have incorporated into your blog.
      Carrollea

      Delete
  4. I also discovered the citations option in Word this week. What a nice surprise. Getting data from Excel into my blog was a challenge for me as well. I ended up copying the excel data and graphs into a Word document so that I could add narrative. Copying that over to my blog site created several strange formatting issues which required me to individually copy my graphs onto the blog entry. It was somewhat annoying but it worked.

    I like the variety of graphics you created. I have been fighting the temptation to create a wordle diagram. To me, they are too random and chaotic for my brain. After seeing yours posted on your blog site, I decided to give it a go. I have to admit it was actually fun to see my finished result. Thanks for providing motivation to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,
      I like your comment about wordle diagrams being too random and chaotic. I wish to try to control the randomization by copy and pasting duplicities of words I want to show. I will also try increasing the font size on certain words before copying to see what happens. Have you tried Tagcedo.com? Agreed, Lenore's finished wordle product turned out nice. I like the colors and patterns. I have to admit that viewing other wordles in the class is what inspired me to give it a try. See, you did have fun!
      Carrollea

      Delete
    2. BTW I did not use my Wordle in my actual research paper. Didn't really make sense to use it as data collection.

      Delete